Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 16 ohm X-overs

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Dar57's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 7th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey gang. I have a pair of 16 ohm passive crossovers from a long-since-departed pair of 16 ohm A7's. I was wondering if I could use them in a pair of my unpowered 8 ohm 1233's that I have? Will they be compatible? If not,what would need to be changed to get them there?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Dar57's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 7th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cant anyone answer this Q for me? Gotta be someone out there with an answer.....
    Originally posted by Dar57:
    Hey gang. I have a pair of 16 ohm crossovers from a long-since-departed pair of 16 ohm A7's. I was wondering if I could use them in a pair of my unpowered 8 ohm 1233's that I have? Will they be compatible? If not,what would need to be changed to get them there?

    Thanks in advance.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dar57,

    You didn't say what model of A7 crossovers you had, but I doubt that they would be compatible for a number of reasons:
    1) the difference in loading (8 ohms vrs. 16) will lower the Q, or slope, of both filter sections output as they approach the crossover region
    2) A7s have driver voice coils in vertical alignment, 1233s use a stepped driver configuration - so an A7 filter will most likely not compensate correctly for the phase shift between the 1233's drivers at crossover
    3) A7 shelving controls are designed to attenuate 16 ohm loads, not 8, and will not accurately deliver the actual amount of attenuation selected
    4) If your A7 crossovers are 500Hz, then the 800Hz horn of the 1233, combined with the lower Q of the filter, will likely produce a huge hole, or dip, in midrange

    You need to buy, or build, a pair of 1209-8A crossovers for your 1233's. Maybe you could trade your old A7 filters for a pair?

    Jeff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.